HARRISBURG – Rep. Zach Mako (R-Lehigh/Northampton) today announced that 11 fire companies and emergency medical service companies serving the 183rd Legislative District were awarded more than $120,000 in Fire Company and Emergency Medical Service grants.
“Our firefighters and EMS personnel work tirelessly day in and day out to protect us,” Mako said. “These grants are a small way to help them have the tools needed to perform at their best. I will continue to advocate for our first responders. We owe them a debt of gratitude.”
The grant money comes from state gaming proceeds as required under state law. Funding can be used to build, repair or renovate a fire company or ambulance service’s primary structure; purchase or repair firefighting, ambulance or rescue equipment; participate in training seminars and workshops; or pay down the organization’s debt. To receive a grant award, an organization must first apply.
Fire and emergency medical services companies that serve the 183rd District were awarded the following amounts:
• Allen Township Fire Company No. 1 – $11,727.52.
• Citizens Fire Company No. 1 – $11,727.52.
• Diamond Fire Company – $13,939.07.
• Egypt Fire Company No. 1 Whitehall Fire Department – $12,649.
• Friedens Volunteer Fire Company – $11,543.23.
• Klecknersville Rangers Volunteer Fire Company – $12,464.70.
• Lehigh Township Volunteer Fire Company No. 1 – $15,000.
• Northampton Fire Department – $13,017.59.
• Northampton Regional Emergency Medical Services Inc. – $6,341.14.
• Slatington Volunteer Fire Department – $12,464.70.
• Star Hose Company No. 1 – $11.911.82
The 183rd District includes South Whitehall (part), Washington and Whitehall (part) townships and Slatington Borough in Lehigh County. It also consists of Allen, Lehigh and Moore (part) townships, and North Catasauqua, Northampton and Walnutport boroughs in Northampton County.
Representative Zachary Mako
183rd Legislative District
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Media Contact: Tracy Polovick