– Sen. Mario Scavello (R-Northampton/Monroe) and state Reps. Joe Emrick
(R-Nazareth), Marcia Hahn (R-Bushkill Township) and Zach Mako (R-Northampton) are pleased to announce a series of grants being awarded to 15 Northampton County entities by the Commonwealth Financing Authority (CFA).
Established in 2004 as an independent agency of the Department of Community and Economic Development, the CFA is charged with administering Pennsylvania's economic stimulus packages. The nearly $1.5 million in grants are generated solely by the Sands Casino in Bethlehem and may be distributed to Northampton County.
The General Assembly members issued the followed statement in response to the CFA’s announcement:
“We would like to congratulate these grant recipients, whose requests were chosen as part of a highly competitive process. Their applications are evaluated on a number of criteria, including economic impact, local financial support and project readiness.
“The Local Share Account grants support a variety of important needs in our communities including economic development, public safety and infrastructure upgrades. These grants provide a direct savings to the municipalities that otherwise would have to rely on local taxpayers for critical needs and emergency equipment. We are pleased to support these projects.
The grant recipients that are part of the legislators’ districts, and the purpose for which the grants are being used, are as follows:
• Bath Borough - multi-municipal paving equipment procurement.
• Bethlehem Township - police vehicles and purchase of fire utility truck.
• Bushkill Township - police license plate reader program.
• Lehigh Valley Economic Investment Corporation - Northampton Community College culinary upgrade grant request.
• Lower Nazareth Township - fire company air packs.
• Nazareth Borough - life saving fire equipment.
• Northampton Borough - TOMCAR fire/transport rescue vehicle.
• Northampton County - Lehigh Valley Regional Intelligence and Investigation Center.
• Palmer Township - suburban EMS ambulance.
• Pen Argyl Borough - police vehicle request.
• Roseto Borough – new public works garage.
• Stockertown Borough - police equipment upgrades.
• Tatamy Borough - security and safety upgrades.
• Wind Gap Borough - municipal complex garage apron upgrade and sewer line study.
Sen. Mario Scavello and Reps. Joe Emrick, Marcia Hahn and Zach Mako
Pennsylvania State House of Representatives and Senate
Media Contact: Scott Little