HARRISBURG – Rep. Zach Mako (R-Lehigh/Northampton) and Sen. Nick Miller (D-Lehigh/Northampton) today announced more than $515,000 in Local Share Account grants from gaming revenues were awarded by the Commonwealth Financing Authority (CFA) to projects within Northampton and Lehigh counties.
Local Share Account grants support economic development, job training, community improvement and public interest projects through gaming funds under Act 71 of 2004.
Those receiving grants were:
• Allen Township – $219,220 to purchase a backhoe to replace a 20-year-old piece of equipment for use in completing municipal tasks including moving and transporting materials, breaking asphalt, landscaping, snow removal and tree planting.
• Bath Borough – $54,266 to purchase five new portable radios for the Bath Volunteer Fire Department.
• East Allen Townships – $165,000 to purchase and outfit a new rapid response emergency vehicle for the East Allen Township Volunteer Fire Company.
• Northampton Borough – $23,300 to purchase security cameras to be placed throughout the borough to prevent damage and vandalism. Locations include the 26th Street Playground, Uptown Park, the municipal park campus, Canal Park and the Fourth Street Playground.
• Slatington Borough – $56,051 for a stormwater infrastructure and roadway restoration project in the Shadow Oaks Lane area.
“These five grants will support important and necessary equipment and projects within the 183rd Legislative District without requiring tax increases,” Mako said. “Equipment and municipal infrastructure can only be repaired and restored so many times before replacement is the only option. I’m pleased to be able to help advocate that gaming funds be used for these beneficial projects.”
“I’m proud to have advocated alongside Representative Mako for these substantial investments in our shared communities,” Miller said. “These projects will support our local infrastructure and public safety, improving everyday life for our constituents.”
The 183rd House District includes Lowhill and North Whitehall townships and Slatington Borough in Lehigh County. It also consists of Allen, East Allen, Lehigh and Moore (part) townships, and Bath, North Catasauqua, Northampton and Walnutport boroughs in Northampton County.
The 14th Senatorial District includes the city of Allentown; Catasauqua, Coplay, Emmaus and Fountain Hill boroughs; and Hanover, Salisbury, South Whitehall and Whitehall townships in Lehigh County. It also includes Allen, Bushkill, East Allen, Hanover, Lehigh and Moore townships and Bath, Chapman, North Catasauqua and Walnutport boroughs in Northampton County.
Representative Zachary Mako
183rd Legislative District
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Media Contact: Tracy Polovick