HARRISBURG – The Office of Rep. Zach Mako (R-Lehigh/Northampton) today announced the School Safety and Security Committee has awarded more than $860,000 in School Safety and Security Grants to school districts in the 183rd Legislative District.
The 17-member committee within the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency was created as part of Act 44 of 2018, a comprehensive school safety law passed in 2018. One of its duties is to help distribute both meritorious and competitive grants. This year’s grants total $53.7 million statewide.
Those receiving grants locally are:
• Catasauqua Area School District – $35,000 for equipment.
• Northampton Area School District – $450,928 to fully fund four counselors, training, planning and equipment.
• Northern Lehigh School District – $365,679 for security upgrades, equipment, planning, training and staff.
• Parkland School District – $45,000 for equipment and planning.
• Whitehall-Coplay School District – $45,000 for equipment.
The 183rd District includes South Whitehall (part), Washington and Whitehall (part) townships and Slatington Borough in Lehigh County. It also consists of Allen, Lehigh and Moore (part) townships, and North Catasauqua, Northampton and Walnutport boroughs in Northampton County.
Office of Representative Zach Mako
183rd Legislative District
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Media Contact: Tracy Polovick